Repairs and maintenance

Everything you need to know about repairs and maintenance of your home. We're carrying out all repairs now. Call us on 01782 744533 where our team will talk to you about your repair.

Older Lady Drinking Tea At Home

Report a repair

You can report a repair using our online form

Your repair responsibilities

Repairs you need to do yourself

  • Unblocking internal pipes and taps
  • Easing internal doors
  • Internal decorations like plaster cracks, internal paintwork and wallpaper

Household items you need to replace yourself

  • Toilet seats
  • Plugs and chains
  • Fluorescent tubes, light bulbs and fuses

Repairs we will do, but you need to pay

  • If you lose your keys, we'll charge you for replacements
  • If you lock yourself out of your home and we send a contractor to let you in again, we'll charge you the contractor’s fee and the cost of replacing the lock and fixing any damage made
  • If you, any member of your household or any visitor cause damage to your home through neglect, misuse or abuse we'll charge for any necessary repairs

Types of repairs

Emergency repairs

An emergency is a situation that may be classified as a repair which compromises the health, safety or security of the resident or the public, or may lead to further damage to property, e.g. flooding caused by a burst pipe. We aim to make emergency repairs in the first 24 hours of reporting them. Typical emergency works are:

  • Gas leaks
  • Major water leaks or bursts
  • Major roof leaks
  • Complete loss of power
  • Complete lighting failure
  • Dangerous electrical faults
  • Faulty door locks where their security is an issue
  • Re-glazing where there may be a security risk
  • Blocked drains (below ground)
  • Dangerous structures
  • Heating or hot water failure where there is no alternative source of heating (October to March)

Where an emergency is raised outside of normal working hours, a contractor will remove the threat to health, safety or security only. Then the remainder of job will be dealt with under the specified repair priority.

Urgent jobs

Urgent jobs are situations that may cause inconvenience but pose no actual immediate danger to a person or property. We aim to make urgent repairs within the first 3 days of reporting them. Typical urgent works are:

  • Faulty door entry systems where there may be a security risk
  • Lift breakdowns
  • Minor electrical problems
  • Re-glazing
  • Plumbing faults
  • Heating or hot water failure where there is no alternative source of heating. (April to September)
  • Heating or hot water failure where there is an alternative source of heating. (October to March)
  • Communal TV aerials

In some instances we may carry out a pre-inspection before we carry out an urgent job (if time allows). This may result in confirmation that the job is not an urgent job but a routine job.

Routine jobs

Routine jobs are situations which may cause a minor inconvenience but doesn't pose a risk to you, other people or property, or which will not lead to further expenditure if delayed. We aim to make routine repairs within the first 10 days of reporting them. Typical routine works are:

  • Minor plumbing repairs
  • Rainwater and guttering repairs
  • Plastering
  • Joinery repairs
  • Heating failure where there is an alternative source of heating. (April to September)

Prioritising jobs

We prioritise jobs based on several factors, such as whether you're vulnerable or if the household has an infant (under 6 months old). Sometimes, this means we might make a job a priority and carry out the repair sooner. 

Most jobs should be completed within the response time but in some cases the completion date may need to be extended, such as in the following cases:

  • If parts need to be ordered
  • The works are extensive
  • ‘Drying out’ time is required
  • The tenant is not available
  • The job has been reclassified as the danger has been resolved

If we, or a contractor acting on our behalf, needs to extend the work, we will tell you when we expect the works to continue.

If a job is late, this will be investigated.

Gas safety

We need to service your gas boiler once a year for your own safety. It's also a legal responsibility of ours. 

Why we service your gas

If your gas appliances are not regularly serviced and checked, you could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Every year, we service all gas appliances which we have installed to make sure they are safe and working correctly. We will give you a gas safety certificate once it has been checked.

If you have your own gas appliances (such as a cooker or fire), then it is your responsibility to have them checked every year by a Gas Safe engineer and send us a copy of the CP12. If you don't do this, we'll have to send our own engineer and ask you to cover the cost.

Making the appointment

We will write to you once a year with an appointment time and date. If you cannot make the appointment, please try and arrange for someone else to be at your home for you or give us a call so we can rearrange. 

Missed appointments

If you miss an appointment we may charge a missed appointment fee to cover the costs of the Gas Safety engineer. 

Remember that gas servicing is done for your own safety. If you refuse to give us access we can take legal action against you. 

Home improvements

Everyone likes to make improvements to their home from time to time. You might want to fit new wardrobes, or give the place a new lick of paint. Usually we’re very happy for you to do this, but we need you to let us know and get our approval before you start.

Getting started

First of all, get in touch! Complete our online form

Some extra costs to consider

You’ll need to be aware that if you do make improvements which lead to extra work (for example, if you fit a shower which means extra electrical work is needed), then you'll need to pay for this. You'll also be responsible for any repairs to improvements you have made.

We don’t like saying ‘don’t’...

...but we have to ask you not to paint storage heaters, radiators, electric fan heaters, kitchen units, extractor fans, light switches and sockets. If we have to replace an item that you have painted we'll have to charge you for this.


Sometimes when you leave your property you may be able to get compensation for the approved improvements you have made. Speak to your housing officer for more information. 

Planned improvements to your home

These handy leaflets tell you what’s involved and what to expect when you’re having planned improvements at home...

Replacing your kitchen

Replacing your bathroom

Replacing your windows

Aids and adaptations

Aids and adaptations are alterations to your home which make it easier for you to get around. If you or anyone living with you becomes disabled and needs aids or adaptations, we will do all we can to help you.

How to apply

The first step is to talk to your housing officer. They will have a chat with you about what you feel you need, and they will look at the suitability of your home and the option of transferring if that would be easier for you.

Minor aids and adaptations

If the aids or adaptations you need are minor – such as grab and hand rails or deafness aids – our maintenance team will arrange for a contractor to do the job.

Major aids and adaptations

If the works are structural – such as major changes to kitchens or bathrooms – it can take a little longer.

First, we'll arrange for an occupational therapist to visit you and carry out an assessment on your needs and your home. Then we look at possible sources of funding for the works.

If the works are eligible for a grant, we'll help you apply and arrange the works when the grant is approved. If the works are not eligible for a grant, we'll fund the works ourselves from our aids and adaptations budget and put your request onto our aids and adaptations register.

We will keep you informed every step of the way.

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size