Festive decorations are a great way to help you get into the spirit. But poorly stored, old decorations, and overloaded sockets can create unnecessary hazards. We’ve put together some helpful dos and don’ts to keep you safe ⬇
- Read and follow the manufacturer's instructions and keep them for future reference.
- Check that your lights aren’t damaged or broken before use. Always look out for loose wires, missing or failed bulbs. If you find a failed bulb, replace it immediately to prevent overheating. Depending on the type of lights you have you may not be able to replace the bulb and will need to replace the lights instead.
- Ensure all outdoor lights are connected by an RCD-protected socket. An RCD is a life-saving device that protects against electric shocks and reduces the risk of fires.
- Switch lights off before you go to bed or you leave the house.
- Keep lights away from flammable decorations or other combustible materials that would burn easily.
- Keep the packaging for safe storage after use. Avoid storing lights in damp or excessively hot conditions.
- Never use lights outdoors that aren’t specifically designed for outside use.
- Don’t connect sets of lights together.
- Avoid overloading sockets or relying on extension leads and adapters.
- Never let children or pets play with lights.
- Don’t attempt to repair faulty lights – always replace them.
- Avoid using damaged or faulty lights.
Find out more about festive electrical safety at