The Fair Deal lets customers know what they can expect from us at Staffs Housing, and also what we expect from you in return.
A starter tenancy is a type of assured tenancy which lasts for one year.
What happens after?
If you've enjoyed living in your new home, and we've both stuck to the fair deal, we will convert your starter tenancy into a full assured tenancy.
When you signed up as a tenant of Staffs Housing, you will have been given a copy of your tenancy agreement. It includes your rights and responsibilities such as;
- To live in your home without interference from us, except when we need access to carry out repairs, inspections or gas safety checks
- To have any gas appliances that we have installed checked and serviced every year
- To have the structure and exterior of your home kept in good and safe condition
- To have heating, water heating, bathroom and kitchen facilities that were installed by us kept in good working order
- To have any communal areas cleaned and maintained
- To receive information about our services and policies
- To confidentiality, in accordance with the Data Protection Act, when you give us your personal details
- To be notified if we plan to make any changes to the way your home is managed or maintained
- To complain and receive a timely response if things go wrong
- To pay your rent on time
- To tell us straight away if you have any problems with paying
- To keep your home in good and clean condition, and to not store dangerous or flammable materials in your home
- If you have your own garden, to keep it in a tidy condition and free from rubbish so that it does not cause a problem for your neighbours
- Not to keep rubbish or store other items in communal areas
- Not to park heavy goods vehicles, caravans, motor homes, trailers or boats in your car park or driveway without our permission
- To get our permission before keeping pets
- To report repairs quickly
- To be a good neighbour
- Members of your household and your visitors must not cause a nuisance, annoyance nor engage in anti-social behaviour
- Not commit any form of racial or other harassment
- Not use your home for any illegal purposes
- To get our permission before running a business from your home
- To advise us of any change in your circumstances
- To give us at least 4 weeks’ notice in writing if you want to end your tenancy
What is a mutual exchange?
A mutual exchange is where you ‘swap’ your home with a housing association or council tenant’s home.
Exchanging homes isn’t as complicated as it might sound, and we will help you all the way through the process.
If you want to find out more, take a look at our mutual exchange guide which explains what happens.
If you want to leave your Staffs Housing home please give us 28 days’ notice in writing.
You’ll need to complete a form so that we can end the tenancy properly. If you have decided to leave, give us a ring on 01782 744533 and we’ll pop one in the post.
Bringing your keys back
On your last day in the property, return all your keys to our head office or hand your keys over to your resident scheme manager if you have one.
If you can’t come to the office for some reason speak to your housing officer who will let you know another way to return your keys.
Make sure you've taken all of your belongings with you and that the home is clean and tidy. If we have to pay for cleaning or removal of items we will have to charge this back to you.
Remember to let telephone, gas and electricity suppliers and any other service providers know that you’re moving out. You might also want to get your post redirected to your new address.
Thanks for being a Staffs Housing resident. All the best in your new home!