Exchanging your home

A ‘mutual exchange’ is where you ‘swap’ your home with a housing association or council tenants home. Exchanging homes isn’t as complicated as it might sound, and we will help you all the way through the process.

One great way to do this is to use HomeSwapper, which you can use to advertise your home and search for other tenants to swap with. You’ll need to register and pay a small fee to do so, but if you keep your receipts, we can reimburse you.

You can also advertise your home in newspapers or local shops, or you can contact other social landlords to apply for an exchange.

When you find a home you like, it is up to you to contact the tenant to see if they will agree to exchange with you.

  • You will need to have your rent paid up to date and neither your or a joint tenant must have broken the terms of your current tenancy agreements.
  • You cannot move into a property where you are under-occupying by more than one bedroom.
  • If you have pets, make sure that both landlords will allow you to have them.
  • Agree with the other person what will be left in their current home when you move in, because you will be responsible for it.
  • It is a good idea to view the other tenant’s property more than once, and at different times of the day or week.
  • If your current home has disabled adaptations, you might not be able to get the same adaptations in your new home.
  • Make sure you understand the other tenant’s tenancy agreement and tenants handbook, as you will be taking on all their rights and responsibilities.
  • Each of you needs to contact your landlord by letter requesting a mutual exchange form. (I.D. will need to be provided)
  • Once we have been provided with all the information required we will then arrange to carry out an accompanied viewing of your home with the new tenant.
  • After we receive a report from the other landlord we will decide if we are happy for the exchange to go ahead. We will let you know our decision within 6 weeks.
  • We rarely refuse or delay requests for exchanges. If we do we will contact you to explain why, and we will advise you on how to solve the problem. If we agree to the exchange, we might attach some conditions to the agreement.
  • When you have received permission to go ahead, you need to agree a moving date with us and the other tenant.
  • Before you leave, we will arrange to carry out a gas and electrical check so that we know the home is safe for the new tenant.
  • We will arrange for you and the new tenant to sign the paperwork.
If you’re moving to a new home that is not managed by us, you need to check with the other landlord what your repairs, rights and responsibilities are.

If you’re moving into one of our home, please be aware that:

  • You are moving in ‘as seen’.  We are not responsible for any damage, or for the cleanliness, condition or internal decoration of the property.
  • If we have to repair anything because of damage or neglect by the previous tenant, you will be charged for the work.
  • If the previous tenant has left items in the home or garden that you do not want, you will need to get them removed.
  • You are responsible for repairs and maintenance to any alterations done by the previous tenant, or any fixtures or fittings they installed themselves. This could include wall or floor tiles, doors, sheds or storage, floor coverings, showers, kitchen and bathroom fittings, fences, walls and gates.

When you take on a Staffordshire Housing Association home, we will give you a list of things you will be responsible for before you move in.  We will continue to be responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of your home.