Respecting your privacy
We respect your privacy. You can be sure that any information we hold about you will be handled sensitively, confidentially and in accordance with the law.
- We keep information about you in files and on computer systems. We promise to keep this information secure.
- Information we hold about you will be appropriate to the purposes for which it is retained.
- We will not keep details about you which are not relevant to your housing application or tenancy.
- We will ensure your details are accurate and up-to-date. Please let us know if your circumstances change so that we can do this.
- We will not keep your data for longer than is considered necessary.
- When we dispose of any data, we will place it into locked confidential waste bins.
Your data and the law
The information we hold about you is covered by the Data Protection Act. Where appropriate (such as on housing registration forms), we will ask you to give us your consent to process and keep your personal details.
Your private and family life, home and correspondence are also protected by the Human Rights Act.
This means that you are protected from interference by a public authority, except where necessary for legal, security or safety reasons. An example of this exception is the Crime and Disorder Act, which contains a requirement for us to release information relating to applications for orders such as anti-social behaviour orders and sex offenders’ registers.
Staffordshire Housing Association will only disclose confidential information to others with your prior consent In exceptional circumstances, where we believe there is a risk to an individual’s health, safety or well-being, information may be disclosed to another agency, such as a local authority, the police, health authorities and HM customs and excise without your consent.
Checks will always be made to check the identity of a representative from one of these agencies.
If you visit our office, we will not discuss matters out in the open. We will take you to a private interview room or confidential area.
If you come to an event we are holding, there may be a photographer taking photos or recording video. We will not use photographs or video of you without your permission, and we will not use photographs or video of children without the signed permission of a parent or guardian.