Supporting you with rising costs

If you’re worried about rising costs, we are here to help you. Find schemes and benefits to help reduce your bills below. Or if you’re struggling to pay your rent or bills get in touch with our Money Advice Team.

Couple Cooking In Kitchen

Get support from our Money Advice Team

Our Money Advice Team can help you make the most of your money and help with any money or debt worries. From reviewing your energy bills, working out a weekly or monthly budget or checking your entitled to benefits, the team is here to support you. 

If you need advice on any rent issues email and one of our income officers or money advisers will call you back within 24 hours (Mon-Fri).

Get support from our Money Advice Team

There are a variety of discounts and schemes that you might be eligible for, which will help you to save money.

Council tax rebate

You could receive £150 by switching to paying your council tax by Direct Debit. This money doesn’t need to be repaid.

Paying by Direct Debit is safe, easy and automatic. When setting up your Direct Debit, you can choose which date your council tax is paid directly from your bank or building society.

To see if you’re eligible for this rebate and to set up your Direct Debit you’ll need to get in touch with your council.

Money towards rising energy costs

£400 this winter to help with rising energy bills

The Government has announced that most households with an electricity meter will get a £400 energy grant to support with the cost of their rising energy bills.

If you pay by Direct Debit, or once you receive a bill, the £400 will be credited to your account. If you pay on a prepay meter, you will receive a voucher.

There is no word yet on when these will be paid, but payments will likely be spread between October 2022 and March 2023.

Households on some means-tested benefits will get £650 this year:

If you receive one of the following qualifying benefits, or have begun a claim for one by 25 May 2022 that is later successful, you will receive two payments – the first will be in July and the second in autumn.

  1. Child tax credit
  2. Income-based jobseeker's allowance
  3. Income-related employment and support allowance
  4. Income support
  5. Pension credit
  6. Universal credit
  7. Working tax credit

This will be paid directly into the account where your benefits are paid. This payment will come from the Department of Work & Pensions. If you receive tax credits only, it will instead come from the HM Revenue & Customs.

The Government is still to announce further information on the second payment, including eligibility.

Depending on which disability benefits you claim, you might be eligible for a one-off £150 payment in September

If you claim one of the following benefits, or have applied before 25 May 2022, which later becomes successful, you will receive a one-off payment of £150 in September.

  • Armed forces independence payment
  • Attendance allowance
  • Constant attendance allowance
  • Disability living allowance
  • Personal independence payment
  • Scottish disability benefits
  • War pensioners' mobility supplement

This will be paid straight into the account you receive your benefits into. The payment is to help towards the cost of specialist equipment, food and increased transport costs. 

You can also still qualify for the £150 payment if you've swapped disability benefits for mobility aids under the Motability Scheme – though details on how this will work have yet to be confirmed.

The Warm Home Discount

If eligible, you could have a one-off £140 payment applied to your electricity bills sometime between October and April. Available for people on a low-income or pension, this scheme helps people to cover their energy costs over winter.

Not all suppliers take part in this scheme, so contact yours to see if they can help.

Cold Weather Payment

Depending on what benefits you claim, and if the weather in your area was below zero degrees Celsius for 7 consecutive days, you might be able to apply for a Cold Weather Payment.

The Cold Weather Payment scheme runs from 1 November 2021 to 31 March 2022.

Winter Fuel Payments

If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. You will get your Winter Fuel Payment automatically (you do not need to claim) if you’re eligible.

Energy provider trust funds

If you've found yourself in debt trying to meet your gas or electric bills, you might be able to apply for a grant to reduce the amount you owe them. 

If you receive your gas or electric from any of the following, we recommend you get in touch with them and ask them about their trust fund. 

  • British Gas Energy Trust
  • OVO Energy Fund
  • Charis: Lets Talk Energy Fund (they will also consider customers of OVO (including OVO Energy, Scottish Power first, SSE and Boost)
  • EDF Energy Customer Support Fund
  • E.ON Energy and E.ON Next Funds
  • Scottish Power Hardship Fund

If your provider isn't listed above, you can apply to the British Gas Energy Trust.

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size